The Old Guard Association (TOGA) was formed as the result of a conversation between an Old Guard Regimental Commander and a former Old Guardsman during the 1997 Veteran’s Day observance at Arlington National Cemetery. A series of follow-on meetings soon established clear-cut goals and a mission for TOGA.
- To establish a permanent organization and further develop the common bond existing between all who have served with the 3d United States Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard).
- To maintain public records and publish the history and achievements of The Old Guard.
- To be of assistance and service in matters pertaining to veterans of The Old Guard.
- To perpetuate the memory of our deceased veterans of The Old Guard.
- To maintain close liaison with the active duty members of The Old Guard currently serving in the National Capital Region.
- To recognize outstanding Old Guard achievements with appropriate presentations.
- To publish a newsletter titled PRIDE to further TOGA’s mission.
- Number of active members: 1156.
- Number of Old Guard Reunions: 2019 marked our 22nd.
- TOGA designed and dedicated The Old Guard Memorial Plaque in Arlington National Cemetery.
- TOGA maintains a website (www.oldguard.org) to facilitate communication and community around service in The Old Guard and maintains an active presence on several social media platforms.
- TOGA has initiated a Holiday Help program for active duty Old Guard soldiers.